Agenda and minutes
Formby Area Committee
Thursday 8th March, 2012 7.00 pm
Venue: Formby Professional Development Centre, Park Road, Formby
Contact: Ruth Appleby
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Parish Councillor Jenkins and Mr P. Thornton, Advisory Group Member.
The Committee Administrator indicated that Mr Thornton was recuperating from a recent operation.
That the Committee Administrator be tasked with writing to Mr Thornton on behalf of the Area Committee, wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery.
Declarations of Interest
Members and Officers are requested to give notice of any personal or prejudicial interest and the nature of that interest, relating to any item on the agenda in accordance with the relevant Code of Conduct
No declarations of interest were received.
Minutes of the meeting held on 12 January 2012
These items are for general discussion. Anybody attending the meeting is welcome to speak (subject to the Chair’s discretion)
A period of 20 minutes (or longer at the discretion of the Chair) will be set aside for a Public Forum.
Members of the public can ask questions, raise matters, or present petitions on issues that are relevant to Sefton Council. The person asking a question will be allowed one supplementary question.
A question form indicating the person’s name and address must be completed and submitted to the Committee Administrator as soon as possible and by no later than 15 minutes before the meeting starts i.e. before 6.45 p.m. or by 3.00 p.m. for faxed (0151 934 2034) or on-line submissions http://forms.sefton.gov.uk/openforumquestion/
Question forms can be obtained from the Committee Administrator prior to the meeting.
(If the questioner does not attend the meeting or nominate a representative to attend (at the discretion of the Chair), the question will not be read out, but a written response will be forwarded to the questioner).
If a response to a question cannot be provided at the meeting, the Neighbourhoods Division will contact the relevant department for a formal response and the resident will be contacted directly in writing
The following items had been submitted for consideration during the Public Forum:
Report of the Neighbourhood Inspector
Update on crime statistics and area interventions since the last meeting
(Statistics for January and February attached – Appendix 5)
These items are for consultation or information of interest to the local community. Anybody attending the meeting is welcome to speak (subject to the Chair’s discretion)
No Items have been received for consideration under Part B
These are formal decisions to be taken by the Members of the Council. Only in exceptional cases will the Chair allow contributions from the public (Advisory Group Members may speak but not vote)
Apologies were tendered on behalf of Chief Superintendent Holland, who was unable to attend the meeting due to a prior commitment.
Inspector Jim Atherton provided an update on crime and policing in the Formby area during January and February 2012, comparing current crime figures for the same period in 2010 and 2011.
A breakdown of violent crime statistics was attached as an Annex to the main crime statistics.
Inspector Atherton reported and answered questions on the following issues:
1. Staff Updates
Constable 8870 Karl Turner had returned to full operational duties in his role as the dedicated officer for Harington ward.
An Acting Sergeant, a new Special Sergeant, 3 Police officers and an additional PCSO would be joining the Neighbourhood Team during peak periods, as part of Operation Beachsafe. This totalled 12 Officers who would be available during this period.
2 New Police Cadets had also been made available to assist the team at crime prevention events.
2. Surgery Details
1st Wednesday – 9 – 11 am Lady Green Nursery
2nd Wednesday – Tesco, Formby by-pass 1-3 pm
3rd Wednesday – Newest Surgery at Waitrose – Wednesday 21 March 2012 – 1-3 pm
3. Operation Beachsafe 2012
Inspector Atherton thanked all the Councillors who had given their (cross party) support to Operation Beachsafe.
He referred to the effectiveness of the multi agency problem solving approach to prevent crime and anti social behaviour, undertaken by the Police, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, the National Trust, Sefton Council’s Coast and Countryside Department, the Lancashire Wildlife Trust, RNLI, the Transport Police, Merseytravel, local Councillors, the Parish Council and local retailers.
Sergeant Nigel Stewart and Sergeant Steve Keefe had also been earmarked to take part in a similar approach to that of Beachsafe which was linked to half term holidays. Sergeant Keefe would in fact stay for the whole period of Operation Beachsafe and as such, would be attending future Beachsafe Meetings
The media launch for Operation Beachsafe 2012 would be taking place on Wednesday 21 March 2012 at 12.00 on Lifeboat Road, weather permitting – otherwise at the Ainsdale Discovery Centre.
4. Operation Valiant
A cross border operation which targeted criminals travelling across Merseyside was having some impact, as was borne out by recent arrests for possession of controlled drugs on the Formby by-pass.
5. Operation Broadley
Targeting Cannabis Cultivation across the North West – signs of potential cannabis cultivation in properties were:
Report of the Director of Built Environment
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Built Environment advising of those locations which had been identified for inclusion in the Highway Maintenance Programme (the Programme) 2012/13.
The report indicated that the Programme was being shared with Area Committees for comment, prior to it being referred to the Cabinet Member - Transportation for formal approval on 28 March 2012; that a single years programme of works was being presented at this time; but that as it was not possible to predict future deterioration levels of the highway across the whole network with any degree of confidence at this time, it was considered premature to attempt to identify schemes for inclusion in the financial year 2013/14 and beyond.
The report concluded by requesting the Area Committee to examine the Programme and advise the Director of Built Environment of any comments; and that the comments of the Area Committee, the results of further assessments and any suggested amendments would be reported to the Cabinet Member - Transportation.
Annex A to the report identified the following areas within the Area Committee’s boundaries that were likely to be completed during 2012/2013:
Footway Surface Treatment
Carriageway Micro Surfacing
Mr. Dave Franey, Highway Management Team Leader, presented the report and answered questions thereon, ... view the full minutes text for item 63.
Report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning
Update on area management issues resolved since the last meeting
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning on the area management activities that had taken place in Formby since the last meeting.
The report indicated that the Neighbourhoods Division provided a co-ordination role for dealing with area issues. Queries were forwarded to the Neighbourhoods Division in a number of ways, via a number of different sources; and in order for Members to be aware of progress made on these issues the area management report had been compiled.
Mr. Graham Parry, Area Manager, presented the report and answered questions thereon.
Mr. Parry was pleased to report that the Cleansing Department had agreed to empty the proposed waste bin to be located outside Kippax News on Queen’s Road. Members expressed a preference for a metal bin with a lid to prevent seagulls ‘attacking’ it.
Report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning on proposals for revised guidelines for use of Area Committee budgets.
The report indicated that the responsibility for the management of Area Committee budgets sat with the Neighbourhoods Division, now part of Corporate Commissioning and Neighbourhood Co-ordination; that a simplified process for allocation of Area Committee budgets had been introduced to allow finding to be agreed outside of Area Committee meetings, subject to the agreement of all 3 Ward members and that funding could only be approved within the context of the Area Committee Budget Guidelines.
The report indicated that since the introduction of this approach, there had been a few queries raised in relation to the approach in how funding was agreed and it was felt that the criteria and guidelines which allowed elected members to make best use of Area Committee budgets could be improved.
A draft set of revised Area Committee Budget Allocation guidance notes were attached at Appendix 1 to the report.
The report requested that the Committee consider new ways of allocating the Area Committee budget, such as aligning budgets with specific area priorities for individual Wards. Paragraph 3.2 of the report listed the options for consideration:
(1) continue with the current mechanism in which all three Ward Members have to agree a funding proposal;
(2) revert back to the previous system in which all funding proposals had to be agreed at Area Committee meetings; or
(3) adopt a new approach which disaggregated the Ward budget into an overall budget allocation and a small allocation for individual members.
Report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning
Update on Area Committee budget resources available
Further to Minute No. 56 of 12 January 2012, the Committee considered the report of the Director of Corporate Commissioning indicating that the balance of the budget available for allocation during 2011/12, including sums set aside for the provision of litterbins and street signs, was £16,819.17 and setting out details of the progress of schemes for which funding had previously been approved.
Details of the allocations made by each Ward against the general provision in the previous year were set out in the report.
The report indicated that the Harington Ward balance brought forward had been increased due to an under spend in relation to a request for funding in 2010/11
Concern was expressed that the tree outside number 27 Tarn Road had still not been planted despite the request having been agreed in November 2010 and monies taken out of the Committee’s 2010/11 budget to pay for this. The planting of the tree was now almost 18 months overdue and as the planting season for trees fell between November and February each year, the tree would not now be planted until November 2012 at the earliest.
On a positive note, the Chair indicated that he had received a letter from Champion Newspapers thanking the Area Committee on behalf of the Formby Traders and Lights Committee for the donation of £600 received towards the purchase of a Christmas tree and lights for Christmas 2011.
Proposed Date of Next Meeting
To coincide with the forthcoming Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations on 5 June, Formby Professional Development Centre (PDC) will be closed for its ‘Spring Break’ during the week commencing 4 June 2012 and the PDC will unfortunately be unavailable on the date scheduled for next meeting, namely, Thursday 7 June 2012.
The Committee is therefore asked to agree one of the following alternative dates, when the PDC will be available, for the June meeting:
The Committee considered an alternative date for the next meeting to that originally scheduled on 7 June 2012, because of the unavailability of Formby Professional Development Centre, which would be closed during the week commencing 4 June 2012.
The Committee considered three alternative dates of Thursday 14 June, 21 June and 28 June 2012 respectively.