Agenda and minutes
Annual Meeting, Council
Thursday 20th May, 2010 6.00 pm
Venue: Town Hall, Southport
Contact: Steve Pearce Head of Committee and Member Services
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Barber, Blackburn, Brennan, M. Dowd, Dutton, Fenton, Griffiths, Gustafson, Hardy, Hough, Jones, Kerrigan, Larkin, Mahon, McGinnity, Pearson, Porter and B. Rimmer.
Election of Mayor
It was moved by Councillor Robertson, seconded by Councillor Brodie-Browne and unanimously
(1) Maureen Fearn JP, a Councillor of the Borough, be elected Mayor of the Borough for the ensuing Municipal Year and until the acceptance of office by her successor; and
(2) the Council do place upon record its sincere appreciation of her services in the capacity as Deputy Mayor during the Municipal Year 2009/10.
Councillor M. Fearn then made a Declaration of Acceptance of Office and took the Chair for the meeting.
Election of Deputy Mayor
It was moved by Councillor P. Dowd, seconded by Councillor Maher and unanimously
That Paul Paschal Cummins, a Councillor of the Borough, be elected Deputy Mayor of the Borough for the ensuing Municipal Year and until the acceptance of office by his successor.
Councillor Cummins then made a Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
Vote of Thanks to Retiring Mayor
It was moved by Councillor Ibbs, seconded by Councillor Glover and unanimously
(1) the Council do hereby place on record its appreciation of the ability, courtesy and impartiality, shown by Councillor Alf Doran in his capacity as Mayor of the Borough and Chairman of the meetings of the Council, during the Municipal Year 2009-2010, and for his attendance at many civic and public functions, both inside and outside of the Borough;
(2) the Council also desires to extend its thanks to Councillor Gillian Cuthbertson for her support and encouragement given to the Mayor;
(3) the Council wishes to record its appreciation of the excellent effort and involvement by both Councillor Doran and Councillor Gillian Cuthbertson, in connection with the Mayor of Sefton's Charity Fund;
(4) the Council further desires to extend its sincere thanks to Councillor Alf Doran and Councillor Cuthbertson for the hospitality extended to Royal Visits, Overseas Visitors, Civic Dignitaries, and Twinning Officials hosted by this Borough;
(5) the Council also desires to extend its thanks to Councillor Alf Doran and Councillor Gillian Cuthbertson in relation to the successful launch of the scheme for Her Majesty's Armed Forces and Veterans Scheme "Heroes Welcome in Sefton"; and
(6) a copy of the Resolution be passed under the Corporate Seal and presented to Councillor Alf Doran.
Councillor Doran was then presented with a framed copy of the Vote of Thanks and a Past Mayor's Badge and, Councillor Cuthbertson was presented a Past Mayoress' Pendant as tokens of the Council's appreciation of the manner in which they had undertaken their duties in the Office of Mayor during the past twelve months.
Councillor Doran responded to the Vote of Thanks and expressed his appreciation to the former Mayoress, Councillor Cuthbertson, the members of the public, various organisations and Council officers who had supported him during his Year of Office.