Agenda for Southport Area Committee on Wednesday 6th December, 2017, 6.30 pm

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Town Hall, Southport

Contact: Ruth Appleby  Democratic Services Officer

Items
No. Item

48.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Dodd, Keith and Preece.

 

49.

Declarations of Interest

Members are requested to give notice of any disclosable pecuniary interest, which is not already included in their Register of Members' Interests and the nature of that interest, relating to any item on the agenda in accordance with the Members Code of Conduct, before leaving the meeting room during the discussion on that particular item.

 

Minutes:

In accordance with Paragraph 9 of the Council’s Code of Conduct, the following declaration of personal interest was made and the Member concerned remained in the room during the consideration of the item:

 

 

Member

Minute No.

Nature of Interest

Councillor Jo Barton

Minute No. 62 – Question from Mrs Mary Pointon – Condition of Leo’s Bar building in Nevill Street.

The owner of Leo’s Bar is a friend of the Councillor.

 

 

50.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 146 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 20 September 2017

Minutes:

RESOLVED:

 

That the Minutes of the meeting held on 20 September 2017 be confirmed as a correct record.

 

51.

Police Issues

Report of the Neighbourhood Inspector.

 

Update on crime statistics and area interventions since the last meeting.

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Sergeant Andrew Dentith who provided an update on crime and policing in the Southport area.

 

Following his update, Sergeant Dentith responded to questions from Members and members of the public on the following matters:

 

·       the increases in violence / domestic violence;

·       the recent ‘ram raiding’ of a jewellers on Lord Street; and

·       whether burglaries in the area had been committed by opportunist or ‘career’ burglars? Sergeant Dentith advised that recent burglaries in Ainsdale had been undertaken by groups of youths from Liverpool and since their arrests the incidences of burglaries had decreased.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That Sergeant Dentith be thanked for his update.

 

 

 

 

 

52.

Public Forum pdf icon PDF 52 KB

A period of up to one hour (or longer at the discretion of the Chair) will be set aside for a Public Forum.

 

Members of the public can ask questions, raise matters, or present petitions on issues which are relevant to Sefton Council.  The person asking the question will be allowed one supplementary question and, provided the questioner is present or represented, any interested members of the public will be permitted to ask supplementary questions, provided the total time on each issue does not exceed five minutes.

 

A Question Form indicating the person’s name and address must be completed and submitted to the Committee Administrator as soon as possible and by no later than 12.00 noon on the day before the meeting.  For the avoidance of doubt, this deadline applies to written, faxed or on-line submissions. http://forms.sefton.gov.uk/openforumquestion/

 

If a response to a question cannot be provided at the meeting, the Neighbourhoods Division will contact the relevant department for a formal response and the resident will be contacted directly in writing.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the following 10 issues which had been submitted for consideration during the Public Forum.

 

53.

John Pugh Petition - Save Southport Area Committee pdf icon PDF 44 KB

Deferred from last meeting.

Minutes:

Further to Minute No.32 of the meeting held on 20 September 2017, the Committee considered a petition containing 69 signatures submitted by John Pugh (now Councillor), which had been deferred from that meeting.

 

Councillor Pugh indicated that he no longer wished to present his petition to the Area Committee.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the petition be withdrawn.

 

54.

Howard Clarkson - Beach Priory Gardens Petition pdf icon PDF 40 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr Howard Clarkson, who was present at the meeting, presented a petition of 26 signatures requesting that various measures be taken for the improvement of access and parking in Beach Priory Gardens, particularly during seasonal events such as the Southport Flower Show and Southport Air Show; and general improvements to the streetscape including the gate entrance on Lord Street West.

 

A number of residents had also made individual submissions/comments, which were attached to the petition.

 

A copy of the petition and individual submissions had been forwarded to Mr Dave Marrin, Manager, Highways Management, who had sent an interim response to Mr Clarkson, stating that in order to give due consideration to the number of issues raised, it had not been possible to produce a response in time for the meeting, but that a full response would be sent to Mr Clarkson as Lead Petitioner in due course.

 

The Chair asked whether Mr Marrin, who was present at the meeting, could give an indication as to when the response would be sent to Mr Clarkson and Mr Marrin confirmed that a response would be sent before the Council’s closure for Christmas / New Year.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the Beach Priory Gardens petition and individual submissions from local residents be noted;

 

(2)

the intention of the Manager, Highways Management to provide a full response to Mr Clarkson before the Council’s Christmas / New Year closure, be noted; and

 

(3)

the Democratic Services Officer be requested to share the response  to Mr Clarkson with Members.

 

 

55.

Maureen I'Anson - Beechfield Gardens Petition pdf icon PDF 48 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mrs Maureen I’Anson, who was present at the meeting, presented a petition of 28 signatures requesting that various measures be taken for the improvement of access from Beechfield Gardens to Rotten Row and Victoria Park via the stone staircase; and general improvements to the area, including repairing the dip in the road along Rotten Row, opening the side gates to Victoria Park and requesting regular cutting of the grass embankments.

 

A number of residents had also made individual submissions/comments, which were attached to the petition.

 

A copy of the petition and individual submissions had been forwarded to Mr Dave Marrin, Manager, Highways Management, who had sent an interim response to Mrs I’Anson, stating that in order to give due consideration to the number of issues raised, it had not been possible to produce a response in time for the meeting, but that a full response would be sent to Mrs I’Anson as Lead Petitioner, in due course.

 

The Chair asked whether Mr Marrin, who was present at the meeting, could give an indication as to when the response would be sent to Mrs I’Anson and Mr Marrin confirmed that a response would be sent before the Council’s closure for Christmas / New Year.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the Beechfield Gardens petition and individual submissions from local residents be noted;

 

(2)

the intention of the Manager, Highways Management to provide a full response to Mrs I’Anson before the Council’s Christmas / New Year closure, be noted; and

 

(3)

the Democratic Services Officer be requested to share the response to Mrs I’Anson with Members.

 

 

56.

Raymond Woods - Question about the Cessation of Southport Area Committee pdf icon PDF 651 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr Raymond Woods, who was not present at the meeting, had submitted a question about the cessation of the Area Committee system in Sefton – what would replace them, would the Police be involved and would the public be able to ask questions?

 

It was noted that Mr Paul Fraser, Senior Democratic Services Officer had provided a detailed written response to Mr Woods, a copy of which was included in the Supplementary Agenda.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That Mr Fraser’s written response to Mr Woods be noted.

 

57.

David Sumner - Question about the Cessation of Southport Area Committee pdf icon PDF 535 KB

Minutes:

Mr David Sumner, who was present at the meeting had submitted a question requesting the views of the Area Committee on the cessation of the Area Committee system.

 

During the course of long debate, some of the Area Committee members expressed the view that the loss of Southport Area Committee would have a consequential impact on local democracy in the area.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That Cabinet be notified of the Area Committee’s concern that the cessation of the Area Committee system would seriously impact on local democracy in Southport.

 

 

 

 

 

58.

Sir Ron Watson Question about parking issues in the Smedley Hydro area pdf icon PDF 27 KB

Minutes:

Sir Ron Watson, Advisory Group Member, who was present at the meeting, had submitted a question about parking issues in the vicinity of Smedley Hydro, which is an important contributor to the local economy in respect of employment, but is located in a residential area and can cause considerable congestion in Oxford Road and Trafalgar Road.

 

Sir Ron addressed the Committee, indicating that there was a particular issue with double yellow lines at the junction of Oxford Road and Trafalgar Road, where it was often impossible to see oncoming traffic; and Oxford Road in particular, was now widely used by Smedley employees to park their cars – a position which had become worse since Smedley’s had introduced an annual car park charge on its staff.  He asked whether elected members would be prepared to liaise with the Smedley Hydro in the hope that some compromise solution could be reached and the concerns of local residents recognised.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the Neighbourhood Co-ordinator be requested to arrange a meeting with Birkdale and Dukes Ward Councillors to consider how to progress this matter with Smedley Hydro. 

 

59.

Diane Thomas - Question requesting an update on funding for Ovington Drive Playground pdf icon PDF 667 KB

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 42 of 20 September 2017, Mrs Diane Thomas, who was present at the meeting, had submitted a question asking for an update on the release of funds from the Kew Ward budget for the Ovington Drive Playground. 

 

Kew Ward Councillors indicated that they were pleased with the way in which the development of the playground was progressing, with funding of £30k having been identified from the existing parks budget and also a contribution of  £5k having being offered by the head teacher of the adjacent school; also that following consultation with local parents and children and the head teacher of the adjacent school,  proposals for the installation of exciting and innovative new play equipment had been identified. Kew Ward Councillors welcomed this involvement of the school in the design and theme of the playground.  As indicated at the previous meeting, funds would also be made available from the Kew Ward budget and Kew Ward Councillors indicated that they looked forward to consulting with Council Officers before Christmas, for guidance on the amount of funds to be made available.  The Councillors also indicated that they were particularly keen for on-going maintenance costs to be identified to avoid the equipment falling into disrepair and being rendered unusable. 

 

Mrs Thomas asked a supplementary question about why the Councillors had suggested the involvement of the Council’s ‘Discovery Centre’, Ainsdale, for the production of equipment for the playground and whether this was a cost-cutting exercise to save Ward funds?

 

Members indicated that they had wanted to keep as much as possible of the construction “in house” to promote the use of the Ainsdale workshop and to aid on-going maintenance costs, as repairs could be directed to the Council’s own workshop.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the comments of the Kew Ward Councillors be noted; and

 

(2)

a meeting be arranged between Kew Ward Councillors and the Parks and Greenspace Manager, to take place before the Council’s Christmas closedown, to discuss costs and agree a funding allocation from the Kew Ward budget towards the cost of the playground equipment and on-going maintenance provision.

 

 

60.

Mark Uglietti - Petition about the Cleanliness of North Promenade pdf icon PDF 44 KB

Minutes:

Mr Mark Uglietti, who was present at the meeting presented a petition of 33 signatures requesting an additional cleaning session of Southport Promenade North and the Promenade Islands ‘…..for both the immediate populace and key stakeholders such as sporting or community groups on the grounds of general health and safety for our local community neighbourhood here’.

 

It was noted that Mr Mark Catherall, Service Manager, Economy and Tourism had been asked to provide a written response to Mr Uglietti.

 

Arising from discussion, both Cambridge and Dukes Ward Councillors indicated that they would be happy to work together to come up with a plan and allocate funding for cleaning up the North Promenade/Marine Lake area.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the North Promenade petition and presentation by Mr Uglietti be noted;

 

 

(2)

the intention of the Service Manager, Economy and Tourism to provide a full response to Mr Uglietti, be noted;

 

 

(3)

the Democratic Services Officer be requested to share the response to Mr Uglietti with Members; and

 

 

(4)

the Neighbourhood Co-ordinator be requested to arrange a meeting between Cambridge and Dukes Ward Councillors to agree proposals and  allocate Ward funding for cleaning the North Promenade / Marine Lake area.

 

 

 

 

61.

Haydn Wood - Question about Litter and Dog Fouling and General Condition of Marine Lake North pdf icon PDF 43 KB

Minutes:

Mr Haydn Wood, who was not present at the meeting had submitted a question asking for financial support for the additional cleaning of the north Marine Lake area of litter, dog fouling and general detritus, including bird faeces.

 

 

RESOLVED:

 

That it be noted that Mr Mark Catherall, Service Manager, Economy and Tourism, had been asked to provide a written response to Mr Wood and that the Democratic Services Officer would share such response with Members.

 

 

62.

Mary Pointon - Condition of Leo's Bar building in Neville Street pdf icon PDF 38 KB

Minutes:

Mrs Mary Pointon, who was present at the meeting, had submitted a question asking the about the poor state of the building and surrounding fence to ‘Leo’s Bar‘ in Nevill Street, stating that when it is windy the fencing falls over and the fabric of the building is very fragile and pieces keep falling off. She indicated that she was surprised that an enforcement notice had not been issued to the landlord to repair the building and make it safe, particularly as the area was now part of the ‘Promenade Conservation Area’.

 

It was noted that Mr Dan Byron, Conservation Officer had been asked to provide a written response to Mrs Pointon.

 

Mrs Pointon asked a supplementary question about when the canopies above the new Bistro Pierre Restaurant on the site of the old Russell and Bromley shoe shop on the corner of Nevill Street and Lord Street were going to be replaced.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

Mr Daniel Byron, Conservation Officer, be requested to provide a written response to both of Mrs Pointon’s questions; and

 

 

(2)

the Democratic Services Officer be requested to share the response to Mrs Pointon with Members.

 

 

 

63.

New Merseyrail Rolling Stock pdf icon PDF 206 KB

Sir Ron Watson to feedback on his questions and visit to Merseyrail on 6 November 2017

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 24 of 20 September 2017, Sir Ron Watson, Advisory Group Member provided feedback to the Area Committee on responses to his questions to Merseyrail on the new rolling stock and about his invitation by David Powell, Programme Director and subsequent visit on 6 November 2017, to receive a detailed briefing on the new rolling stock.

 

Arising from discussion the following points were made:

 

·       Northern Rail could use newer rolling stock in conjunction with major events in the town ie Flower Show, Air Show etc. This would cause them some problems but at least we would have some improvement on what are important times for the town’s economy.

 

·       Suggestion that notices be placed in carriages indicating which stations had public toilets.

 

Sir Ron indicated that he would be happy to feedback the Area Committee’s suggestions to Northern Rail and Merseyrail.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

Sir Ron’s update on his visit to Merseyrail / responses to his questions be noted; and

 

(2)

Sir Ron’s offer to (i) apprise Northern Rail of the Area Committee’s suggestion in respect of provision of newer rolling stock on the Manchester/Southport line for special events held in Southport; and

(ii) Merseyrail - suggestion of notices in carriages about toilet provision at stations; be welcomed.

 

 

.

 

 

64.

Carriageway Surface Treatment Failures pdf icon PDF 72 KB

Report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned

 

(Deferred from 20 September 2017)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Further to Minute No.46 of 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the deferred report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned, advising of the outcome of investigations into carriageway surface treatment failures in and around the Southport area. 

 

The report indicated that Capita Engineering Laboratory had been commissioned to carry out an independent audit on the annual surface dressing programme of works and a copy of their summary report was attached at Annex A.

 

The report indicated that based on available information and the individual sites audited, the site preparation, substrata quality, workmanship and the installed Surface dressing materials were observed to be initially of good quality with no immediate cause for concern. Whilst the root cause of the failures were unknown, the contractor had indicated that the most likely reason for failure was due to the fact that most of the sites had been completed in early September 2017, at the end of the recommended laying season for these types of systems and that this period was followed by an unexpected cold and wet spell.  This was supported by Capita Engineering Laboratory. Therefore, it has been recommended that future surface dressing treatments be applied earlier in the season and preferably completed in the month of August, which should prevent the problem of future chipping loss failures.  The report concluded that whilst all information provided by the contractor was in compliance with industry standards and Code of Practice, the sharing and timely delivery of such information requires some improvement when undertaking future works programmes.  Additional testing procedures and certification in relation to plant and on-site activities has also been recommended.

 

Mr Dave Marrin, Manager, Highways Management, presented the report and answered questions thereon, in particular whether the Council had received any claims in respect of damage to vehicles arising from the carriageway surface failures.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the report be noted; and

 

(2)

the Manager – Highways Management be requested to provide details of any claims for compensation as a result of damage to vehicles caused by the carriageway treatment failures.

 

 

 

65.

Southport Economy and Development Framework pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Report of the Head of Regeneration and Housing

 

(Deferred from 20 September 2017)

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 46 of the meeting held on 14 June 2017, the Committee considered the deferred report of the Head of Regeneration and Housing on the work of the Cabinet Member - Regeneration and Skills in relation to the growth of the Southport Economy and the Southport Development Framework.  A timeline of consultation undertaken was detailed in Appendix A to the report. 

 

The Area Committee was asked to note that an Action Plan had been formally presented by the Cabinet Member -Regeneration and Skills to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee (Regeneration and Skills) on 4 July 2017, following a call-in arising from the Cabinet decision made in October 2016.

 

Arising from discussion on the report, the following issues were raised:

 

·       concern was expressed at the loss of revenue from the town centre to developments in the east of the town;

·       there was very little information about commercial activity/enterprise;

·       further information was requested on the proposal arising from the Southport Development Framework, for a ‘grand public realm’ project for Lord Street, for the delivery of a quality open retail and leisure environment  for visitors and residents;

·       concern was expressed that there had only been 18 conferences held in Southport in the last year and that Southport’s importance and value to the local economy as a major destination for conferences should be actively promoted; and

·       the importance of Southport’s beach and marshes in attracting people to the area for bird watching, walking and general family leisure should be acknowledged and promoted.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

Cabinet be requested to consider the following:

 

Southport Area Committee is concerned that there were only 18 conferences held in Southport in the last year and requests the Cabinet to adopt a costed strategy to increase Southport’s Conference trade”; and

 

(2)

the views of the Area Committee be notified to Ms Sarah Kemp, Executive Director.

 

 

 

66.

Sandwinning Site, Southport pdf icon PDF 852 KB

Report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned

 

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 46 of the meeting held on 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the report of the Head of Locality Services (Commissioned) on the former Sandwinning Site, Marine Drive, Southport.

 

The report indicated that the Sandwinning site had had a long history of sand extraction and processing dating back to the 1960’s and the most recent permission, granted by the Secretary of State, attached a condition which although required the restoration of the site, did not specify a date requiring completion.

 

The report further advised that sand winning from the site had ceased in February 2007, shortly after which, the buildings, plant and machinery had been removed; and Rainford’s, the original licence holders had surrendered their licence and as they have had no conventional land interest in the site (other than that associated with a winning licence), the land remained in the ownership of the Council.  However, there was still a requirement under the planning condition to restore the site which the Council could enforce.

 

The report indicated that the Council’s Planning Enforcement Team had maintained good working relationships with Rainford’s and had successfully agreed the continuing restoration of the land to date. The material requiring removal from the site included finings from the winning operation, debris and other contaminants which could not be returned to the sea and both the Council and Rainford’s wanted the material to be used in a sustainable way rather than being sent to landfill.  Therefore, the material had been used on the Newlands land restoration project at Benthams Way / Town Lane and on other sites which the Forestry Commission had been involved in.  However, due to the economic downturn little material had been removed from the site for a number of years.  However, following intervention of the Council’s Enforcement Team the removal of sand had recommenced in 2015 and was now being used on the new nearby Kew development provided by Ruttles, who had agreed with Rainford’s to process and transfer the sand material to the development and since intervention, approximately 20,000 tons of sand had been processed, most of which had been taken off the site.  Rainford’s had indicated that - subject to market conditions which predicated the removal of sand, the site would probably be fully restored to an agreeable state by the end of 2018.

 

Arising from discussion, the following points were made:

 

·       fly tipping had occurred at the site gates – which as the rubbish had actually been dumped outside the site, was the responsibility of the Council; and

 

·       the area is one of the prime sites in the UK for birds arriving over winter; the RSPB site being on the marsh side of the road, but bird watchers have also visited the sand winning site; therefore in the long term the site would be ideal for development for the promotion of bird watching.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the report be noted; and

 

(2)

the Neighbourhood Co-ordinator be requested to liaise with the Cleansing  ...  view the full minutes text for item 66.

67.

Update on the replacement of playground equipment with particular reference to Ovington Drive Playground, Kew, Southport. pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Report of the Head of Communities

Minutes:

Further to Minute Nos 42 and 46 of 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the report of the Head of Communities on the replacement of playground equipment, with particular reference to Ovington Drive Playground, Kew.

 

Arising from discussion, Kew Members reiterated their appreciation that local children would be involved in planning and designing the park and indicated that they looked forward to meeting Officers before Christmas to discuss costings.  It was noted, however, that details of ongoing maintenance provision for the equipment was not included in the report and they emphasised that this was a crucial factor in helping to ensure the longevity of the equipment purchased and avoiding a repeat of the position where the playground became unusable.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

Officers be commended for the production of the timely report and innovative proposals for the new play-ground equipment at Ovington Drive play area; and

 

(2)

the intention of the Kew Ward Councillors to meet with the Parks and Greenspace Manager, to discuss costings / allocation of funds towards the cost of the playground and the consideration of ongoing maintenance provision be noted.

 

 

 

68.

Receipt of Residents Petition - Leamington Road and Halifax Road, Ainsdale pdf icon PDF 61 KB

Report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned

 

Minutes:

Further to Minute Nos 28 and 46 of 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned, arising from receipt of a petition to that meeting signed by residents of Halifax Road and Leamington Road, Ainsdale, requesting parking restrictions to deal with issues caused by commuters parking close to the railway station.

 

Mr Dave Marrin, Manager, Highways Management presented the report and indicated that prior to receipt of the petition, brief surveys had been undertaken in April 2017 in the area around Ainsdale Village and whilst these did indicate that parking was taking place on both Halifax and Leamington Roads, none of the parking could be described as obstructive.  However, following receipt of the petition a site meeting with a Ward Councillor had been held in September 2017 when it had been suggested that a relatively short extension of 20m of double yellow lines on the west (station) side of Halifax Road, would assist vehicles turning into the road.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That Ainsdale Ward Councillors be consulted on the proposal to extend the double yellow lines on the west side of Halifax Road by 20 metres and that subject to their agreement, a report be taken to the Cabinet Member – Locality Services, requesting his approval to progress this proposal.

 

69.

Portland Street - Response to Petition pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned

 

Minutes:

Further to Minute Nos. 30 and 46 of 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned, responding to the petition requesting that Portland Street be blocked off to motor vehicles at its junction with Cemetery Road.

 

Mr Dave Marrin, Manager, Highways Management, presented the report and indicated that the Council had recently secured funding through the Local Growth Fund STEP (Sustainable Transport Enhancement Package) to improve East West Cycle Links in Southport between Kew and Southport Town Centre and it was proposed to use this funding to further develop the East West Links which were originally constructed as part of the Sefton Cycle Town initiative in 2011.  This had included traffic calming in the form of raised tables and a signal controlled junction at Portland Street junction with Cemetery Road.  Since the installation of the junction, further traffic surveys had had been undertaken in January 2012.  The traffic surveys in 2009 and 2012 had showed a reduction in speed and a very slight overall reduction in traffic flow. The further development of the East West Cycle Links which included Portland Street in Southport, had been included in the Transportation Capital Programme and would improve the ‘rideability’ of the whole route.  It was anticipated that the scheme would include installation of new toucan crossings; new off-road cycle provision to the rear of the hospital; enhancement of off-road cycle provision and cycle priority at key junctions.

 

Mr Marrin continued that in response to the petition it was proposed to undertake traffic surveys in January 2018 at a number of locations along Portland Street. He advised that previous surveys had been undertaken in January 2009 and January 2012, so repeating the surveys in the same month would allow direct comparisons to be made of vehicle speeds and traffic conditions.  The surveys would record the type of vehicle to assist in the comparison with previous records.  The traffic data and other evidence gathered would be used to form recommendations for next steps which would then be briefed to the Cabinet Member – Locality Services and Ward Councillors.  Any improvements proposed would be considered as part of the wider scheme to improve the East West Cycle Links in Southport.

 

The report concluded that a future update report would be presented to the Cabinet Member – Locality Services, Ward Members and the next Cycle Chat, once the next steps for Portland Street and the work to improve the East West Cycle Links had been further developed.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the report be noted.

 

70.

Virginia Street Footbridge, Southport pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Report of the Head of Locality Services - Commissioned

Minutes:

Further to Minute Nos. 40 and 46 of 20 September 2017, the Committee considered the report of the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned, on the current condition and ongoing maintenance of the Virginia Street Footbridge.

 

Arising from discussion, a Member expressed concern that the current lights on the bridge were constantly being vandalised and required extremely thick covers to protect the bulbs which had an adverse effect on the strength of the light quality emitted from the bulbs. The Member suggested that a possible solution for this would be the installation of overhead lights along the length of the bridge and as the bridge provided significant access to both the Asda supermarket and the Railway, perhaps they could be asked to contribute towards funding such lighting provision.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the report be noted and the suggestion of overhead lighting provision along the length of the bridge, be forwarded for consideration by the Head of Locality Services – Commissioned.

 

71.

Budget Monitoring pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Report of the Head of Communities

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Head of Communities detailing the balance of the budget available for allocation during 2017/18 and the progress to date on those items previously agreed.

 

The Committee was advised that since publication of the report, the following funds had been allocated from the Kew Ward budget:

 

·       £3,800 on the gates and columns at Duke St Cemetery;

·       £5,000 on raised beds and plants to be installed at the cemetery in March / April 2018; and

·       a further £1,000 for the provision of a defibrillator at the Salvation Army Centre.

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1)

the funding available and current commitments for 2017-18 be noted;

 

(2)

 the following additional allocations from Kew Ward budget be noted:

·       £3,800 on the gates and columns at Duke St Cemetery;

·       £5,000 on raised beds and plants to be installed at the cemetery in March / April 2018;

  • a further £1,000 for the provision of a defibrillator at the Salvation Army Centre;

 

(3)

the final commitments for 2016-17 be noted; and

 

(4)

the ongoing issues from 2015/16 be noted.