Briefing Note of the Cabinet Member – Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services
Further to Minute No. 29 of its meeting held on 12 January 2021 the Committee considered a Welfare Reform and Anti-Poverty update of the Head of Health and Wellbeing and Cabinet Member - Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services.
The update provided information on the latest meeting of the Welfare Reform and Anti-Poverty (WRAP) Cabinet Member Reference Group and in particular on activities associated with:
· A Motion approved by Council on 4 March 2021 regarding Poverty Emergency
· Childhood poverty
· Healthy Start vouchers
· Breathing Space
· Emergency Limited Assistance Scheme
Councillor Lappin, Cabinet Member – Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services presented the update.
Members of the Committee commented on the following issues:
· The up to date position in respect of the call for action relating to childhood poverty
· Whether the Breathing Space initiative offered tenants protection from eviction from their homes. It was noted however that protection to social and private tenants by delaying when landlords could evict tenants was governed by Government legislation
· Concern was expressed at the proposed cessation, at the end of September, of the £20/week uplift received by universal credit claimants. It was anticipated that this would have a dramatic effect on claimants, coupled also with the ending of the furlough scheme, and would have an impact on the Emergency Limited Assistance Scheme
the update on the operation of the Members’ Welfare Reform Reference Group be noted; and
Councillor Lappin be thanked for her update.