Agenda and minutes

Crosby Area Partnership - Thursday 7th March, 2013 2.00 pm, NEW

Venue: Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre, The Esplanade, Cambridge Road, Waterloo, Liverpool, L22 1RR

Contact: Mike Morris  Senior Committee Administrator

Items
No. Item

1.

Appointment of Chair and Vice-Chair 2012/13

Further to Minute No. 2(2) of the meeting on 10 December 2012, to give further consideration to this matter.

Minutes:

RESOLVED:

 

That Canon Pete Spiers be appointed Chair of the Area Partnership for this meeting.

 

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Paul Cummins and Daren Veidman, Parish Councillors Ken Hounsell and David Warren, Rachel Mills, One Vision Housing and Steph Prewett, Neighbourhood Co-ordination

3.

Declaration of Interests

Members are requested to give notice of any disclosable pecuniary interest, which is not already included in their Register of Members' Interests and the nature of that interest, relating to any item on the agenda in accordance with the Members Code of Conduct, before leaving the meeting room during the discussion on that particular item.

 

Minutes:

No declarations of pecuniary interests were made.

 

4.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2012

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2012 were agreed as a correct record.

 

5.

Matters Arising from the Minutes

To consider any matters arising from the Minutes not covered elsewhere on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no matters arising.

 

6.

Terms of Reference

To clarify the Terms of Reference for the Partnership in relation to the nomination of substitute representatives at meetings.

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 5 of 10 December 2012, the Partnership considered the possibility of the Terms of Reference being amended to provide for Partnership bodies being able to nominate set substitutes in addition to their existing representatives.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the Cabinet be recommended to approve this suggested change to the Terms of Reference.

 

7.

Regeneration of Local Businesses

Verbal update to be given.

Minutes:

Mark Catherall gave a brief verbal update on progress in the regeneration of local businesses in Crosby.  The Waterloo Town Team was well advanced with their plans for regenerating the South Road area.  The situation in relation to Crosby village was rather more complicated.  Sainsbury’s had indicated that their plans for opening new stores nationally had been scaled back.  Views about the village varied from stating that it was “dead” to a view that the “mix” of activities needed to be changed.  Clearly, there were a lot more leisure outlets in the area, including pubs and restaurants.  £10,000 was already available for Crosby village from the Portas initiative plus a further £17,000 from the high street initiatives.  Mark referred to the possible creation of a “masterplan” for the village area which would take planning policies into account.  A town team could develop the masterplan which would, hopefully, raise the value of vacant assets and bring bigger developers into the discussions.  The feasibility study for the village centre was a key priority for the Council and its ruling Labour Group and it was hoped that the capital programme would include an amount to fund this, thereby saving the existing £27,000 for other purposes.  Christina Jones agreed to find out the timescale for the capital programme decisions.  She also stated that the previous aspirations and issues identified by residents and ABetterCrosby would be fed into any discussions on a new masterplan.  Mark Catherall also agreed to ask the Service Manager – Traffic and Transportation, Dave Marrin, to engage with village residents and groups when consulting on the impending parking review.

 

8.

Food and Fuel Poverty pdf icon PDF 21 KB

Dick Hayes will provide an update on the Crosby Area Foodbank (see attached summary)

 

David Colbourne of the Council’s Energy Team will provide an update on the Affordable Warmth Strategy.

Minutes:

(a)  Richard Hayes and Jackie Cornforth of the Sefton Area Foodbank Trust made a presentation on the progress of the Crosby area foodbank which had been established to respond to food poverty in the area.  The presentation covered the following:-

·         the organisation consisted of 30/40 volunteers and 9 trustees who had been meeting for about 3 months and were associated with the Trussell Trust, an organisation involved with 50/60 foodbanks nationally

·         volunteers were mainly from an ecumenical group of local churches working together who were hoping to cover the whole of the Crosby Area Committee Wards, from the Seaforth flyover to Hightown

·         food and monetary donations would be sought to provide non-perishable food stuffs for storage centrally, with public reception facilities (at the old housing office to the rear of Waterloo Town Hall)

·         initially, distribution centres were being planned for Waterloo, Crosby and Thornton

·         a partnership was planned with established agencies such as General Practitioners and Social Services staff to establish a voucher system to distribute pre-packed food boxes with a good nutritional balance to people in short-term need

·         organisations involved would be asked to nominate volunteers to operate the voucher system and training would be provided by the North West Co-ordinator of the Trussell Trust

·         the chair/lead was Jan Matthews and Richard Hayes would be acting as treasurer of the Trust

·         the hope that the scheme would be “up and running” by April/May 2013, but that any “official” opening would be deferred until the scheme had been operating for about six weeks

·         the hope that each distribution centre would have an information point to enable applicants to be referred to appropriate other agencies, if necessary.

 

 

RESOLVED: That

 

(1) Richard and Jackie be thanked for their informative presentation; and

 

(2) Christina Jones be requested to supply contact details for Partnership members to the Trust.

 

(b)  David Colbourne of the Council’s Energy Team made a presentation on fuel poverty and the Affordable Warmth Strategy.  The presentation covered the following:-

·         the definition of fuel poverty- i.e. a household spending 10% or more of its income on adequately heating the home- and the ill-health effects of low temperatures

·         fuel poverty leading to a “heat or eat” dilemma for householders

·         the many benefits of fuel poverty prevention, including a healthier population; saving NHS costs (approximately £8 million per year including £2 million in relation to mental health); saving the Council costs e.g. in relation to homelessness and social care; and saving lives

·         the challenge for Sefton where 85% of properties are in private ownership; the proportion of elderly residents ranks among the top 10 areas nationally; 50% of housing stock was already over 100 years old; fuel prices and the general economy were worsening the situation; and the Affordable Warmth Service could only improve between 3,000 and 5,000 homes per year when 26,000 were designated as “fuel poor”.

·         what the Affordable Warmth Service offered, including dedicated advisors; home visits; grant matching; referrals to other agencies such as the Fire and Rescue Service, Citizens Advice  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

There was no further business to transact.

10.

Date of Next Meeting

Details of the next meeting are not yet determined, but will be notified to all parties in due course.

Minutes:

It was noted that details of the next meeting had not yet been determined, but would be notified to all parties in due course.